NIKON RELEASES A DEDICATED 3D LUT FOR N-LOG AND ANNOUNCES THE SUPPORT OF RAW VIDEO OUTPUT FOR THE NIKON Z 7 AND Z 6
Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 27th August 2019: Nikon today introduces a dedicated LUT (lookup table) for N-Log videography, which is a feature of the Nikon Z 7 and Z 6 cameras. A new firmware update will be released later this year for the Z 7 and Z 6 cameras that will support RAW video output straight from the camera. This firmware will enable recording in ProRes RAW video format on the Ninja V 4K HDR monitor/recorder made by ATOMOS, Nikon’s collaborator in developing RAW video output technology.
With this firmware release, the Nikon Z 7 and Z 6 will be the first consumer cameras to support RAW video output, currently only available in professional cinema cameras. RAW video files provide the richest information, just like still image RAW data. By bringing even more flexibility to post-production colour grading, RAW video output support firmly places Nikon mirrorless cameras in the same realm as professional cinema cameras, making them an affordable choice for full-scale movie production. RAW video output feature will require an additional internal upgrade that will need to be performed at a local Nikon service center, which will incur a service charge.
The dedicated LUT for Nikon’s N-Log is compatible with the Rec. 709 colour space and is available in several versions, allowing users to easily apply different looks. It is also a 3D LUT, enabling adjustment of brightness, saturation and hue, in addition to RGB colours. A LUT is preset data of RGB colour values, used to transform the appearance of video footage in post-production colour grading. The Z 7 and Z 6’s N-Log HDMI output recording is optimised for 10-bit recording, bringing out the image sensor’s full dynamic range. It records rich gradation information in highlights and shadows to allow for more flexible colour grading.
The LUT will be available for download, free of charge, from the Nikon Z 6 and Z 7 pages on Nikon's Download Centre: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/.
- Please note that an internal setting on the camera must be revised during a service at an authorised Nikon Service Centre to allow RAW video output to be enabled. This service will attract local charges.
- NIKON COLLABORATES WITH NISSIN JAPAN LTD. AND PROFOTO
- GET WIDELY CREATIVE. THE SMALLEST Z SERIES PRIME LENS TO DATE
- NIKON INTRODUCES HIGH-PERFORMANCE, COMPACT S-LINE ZOOM LENS
- NIKON LAUNCHES NX TETHER AND NX MOBILEAIR – SUPPORTING THE WORKFLOW OF PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHERS
- NIKON OFFERS EXCLUSIVE ACCESS TO ITS Z 9 WITH FREE VIRTUAL EVENT
- NIKON ANNOUNCES THE Z 9 FLAGSHIP CAMERA
- NIKON IS DEVELOPING THE NIKKOR Z 400MM F/2.8 TC VR S SUPER-TELEPHOTO PRIME LENS WITH A BUILT-IN 1.4X TELECONVERTER FOR THE NIKON Z MOUNT SYSTEM
- NIKON ADDS VERSATILE DX ZOOM LENS TO ITS NIKKOR Z RANGE
- NIKON INTRODUCES TWO NEW MONARCH BINOCULARS TO BRING THE BEAUTY OF NATURE TO LIFE
- Nikon releases the NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2, a compact and lightweight prime lens for the Nikon Z mount system